When it comes to weight loss and maintenance, one of the biggest challenges is finding meals that are both filling and low in calories. Many people struggle with feeling hungry and deprived when trying to stick to a calorie-restricted diet. However, there is a solution: high volume low calorie meals.
High volume low calorie meals are meals that provide a large amount of food for relatively few calories. By choosing foods that are high in fiber, water, and air, you can create meals that are both filling and low in calories. This means that you can eat a larger volume of food while still sticking to your calorie goals, making it easier to stay on track with your weight loss or maintenance goals.
In this article, we will share 14 of the best high volume low calorie meals that you can incorporate into your diet. These meals are not only low in calories, but they are also delicious, easy to make, and packed with nutrients. Whether you’re looking for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or snacks, we’ve got you covered. So, let’s dive in and explore the world of high volume low calorie meals!
Criteria for Choosing High Volume Low Calorie Meals
Choosing the right high volume low calorie meals is essential for achieving your weight loss or maintenance goals. Here are some criteria to keep in mind when selecting your meals:
- Volume: Look for foods that are high in volume but low in calories. Foods that are high in water content or air, such as fruits and vegetables, are great options. For example, a large salad made with leafy greens, colorful vegetables, and a low-calorie dressing can provide a lot of volume with very few calories.
- Fiber: Foods that are high in fiber help to keep you feeling full and satisfied for longer. Look for foods like beans, lentils, whole grains, and fruits and vegetables with edible skins.
- Macronutrient balance: High volume low calorie meals should be balanced with macronutrients such as protein, carbohydrates, and fat. This will help to keep you feeling satisfied and prevent cravings. For example, a meal of grilled chicken breast, roasted sweet potatoes, and steamed broccoli provides protein, healthy carbs, and healthy fats in a high volume, low-calorie package.
- Nutrient density: Choose foods that are nutrient-dense, meaning they are high in vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial nutrients. This will ensure that your meals provide your body with the nutrients it needs to function at its best.
By keeping these criteria in mind when selecting your meals, you can create high volume low calorie meals that are both satisfying and nutritious. In the next section, we will explore 14 of the best high volume low calorie meals that meet these criteria.
14 Best High Volume Low Calorie Meals
Oatmeal with Berries and Almonds: Start your day with a bowl of oatmeal topped with fresh berries and almonds. This high fiber, protein-packed breakfast is both filling and delicious.
- Greek Yogurt Parfait: Layer Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and granola for a tasty and filling breakfast or snack.
- Veggie Omelet: Whip up an omelet filled with your favorite veggies, like spinach, mushrooms, and bell peppers, for a protein-packed breakfast or lunch.
- Zucchini Noodles with Marinara Sauce: Swap out traditional pasta for zucchini noodles and top with a homemade marinara sauce for a low calorie, high volume meal.
- Grilled Chicken with Roasted Vegetables: Grill up some chicken breast and serve it with a side of roasted vegetables, like sweet potatoes, carrots, and broccoli, for a balanced and satisfying meal.
- Lentil Soup: Cook up a pot of lentil soup, filled with veggies like carrots, celery, and onion, for a high fiber and protein-packed lunch or dinner.
- Tuna Salad Lettuce Wraps: Swap out bread for lettuce wraps and fill with tuna salad, made with Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise, for a low calorie and high protein lunch option.
- Grilled Shrimp with Zucchini and Squash: Skewer some shrimp with zucchini and squash and grill for a high protein and nutrient-dense meal.
- Veggie Stir Fry: Whip up a stir fry filled with your favorite veggies, like broccoli, bell peppers, and snow peas, for a low calorie and high volume meal.
- Cauliflower Rice Bowl: Swap out traditional rice for cauliflower rice and top with your favorite protein and veggies for a delicious and filling meal.
- Turkey Chili: Make a big pot of turkey chili filled with veggies and beans for a high fiber and protein-packed meal.
- Quinoa and Black Bean Salad: Combine quinoa, black beans, and veggies like bell peppers, corn, and onion for a nutrient-dense and filling salad.
- Baked Salmon with Roasted Asparagus: Bake some salmon and serve with a side of roasted asparagus for a high protein and nutrient-dense meal.
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Bowl: Top a baked sweet potato with black beans, avocado, and salsa for a filling and delicious meal.
- Veggie and Hummus Wrap: Fill a whole wheat wrap with hummus and your favorite veggies, like cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce, for a low calorie and high fiber lunch option.
These 14 high volume low calorie meals are just a starting point. Get creative and experiment with different combinations of healthy ingredients to find meals that fit your tastes and dietary needs.
Additional Tips for Making High Volume Low Calorie Meals
Here are some additional tips to help you make high volume low calorie meals:
- Use herbs and spices to add flavor: Instead of relying on high calorie sauces or dressings, use herbs and spices to add flavor to your meals. Try experimenting with different herbs like basil, thyme, and rosemary, or spices like cumin, paprika, and chili powder.
- Add in low calorie veggies: Bulk up your meals with low calorie veggies like leafy greens, zucchini, and cauliflower. These foods are high in water and fiber, which will help keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- Watch your portion sizes: Even high volume low calorie meals can add up in calories if you eat too much. Use measuring cups or a food scale to ensure you’re eating the right amount of each ingredient.
- Be mindful of your protein sources: Protein is an important nutrient for keeping you feeling full and satisfied. However, not all protein sources are created equal. Opt for lean protein sources like chicken, fish, and legumes instead of high fat meats like beef and pork.
- Don’t forget about healthy fats: While you want to keep your calorie intake low, it’s important to include healthy fats in your meals. Healthy fats like avocado, nuts, and olive oil can help keep you feeling full and satisfied.
By following these tips, you can create high volume low calorie meals that are both tasty and nutritious. Remember to focus on nutrient-dense ingredients and experiment with different flavor combinations to keep your meals interesting and enjoyable.
In conclusion, high volume low calorie meals can be a great way to eat healthy, lose weight, and feel full and satisfied. By focusing on nutrient-dense ingredients, using herbs and spices for flavor, and incorporating plenty of low calorie veggies, you can create delicious meals that are both filling and nutritious.
Remember to also be mindful of portion sizes, choose lean protein sources, incorporate healthy fats, and drink plenty of water. Meal prepping ahead of time and balancing your meals with whole grains and a variety of nutrients can also help you stay on track with your high volume low calorie meal plan.
With these tips and the 14 best high volume low calorie meal ideas outlined in this article, you have everything you need to create satisfying and nutritious meals that support your health and weight loss goals. So why not start incorporating more high volume low calorie meals into your diet today and see how great you can feel?